Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hits From Hell Week

Since it seems that American Idol is now starved for show themes, I thought I would take this opportunity between shows to come up with one of my own. I was thinking, if this truly is the most talented group of contestants in Idol history, then they should really be put to the test. Not with Beatles songs or Whitney songs or Mariah Carey songs, no sir. If you want to see how talented these contestants really are they should asked to sing really crappy songs. The worst of the worst. The hit parade from Hell. It's easy to sound good when you're singing "Imagine", but they would have to work a lot harder to sound good singing "Cherokee People". Don't you think?

I tried to match up these highly talented singers with some highly awful songs (and no, I wasn't driving this time when I did this), and here is what I came up with:

Brooke White – Muskrat Love by Captain and Tennille
Carly Smithson – Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves by Cher
Chikezie Eeze – Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas
David Archuleta – Feelings by Morris Albert
David Cook – Mr. Roboto by Styx
Jason Castro – Reminiscing by The Little River Band
Ramiele Malubay – You Light Up My Life by Debby Boone
Kristy Lee Cook – Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band
Michael Johns – Do Ya Think I’m Sexy by Rod Stewart
Syesha Mercado – Xanadu by Olivia Newton John

And just so they won't feel left out...

Amanda Overmyer – Convoy by C.W. McCall
David Hernandez – YMCA by The Village People

Actually, I think if "Convoy" was on the list of approved songs during 70's week Amanda would have probably sang it. There's still time for Poser Mate to try the Stewart number though.

It is only a coincidence that all of these songs are from the 70's, but then again it was the decade where bad songs sold well.

Not only would this be a challenge for the singers, it would be a challenge for the judges too, especially dear lovable Paula Abdul. Can you imagine how difficult it would be for her to come up with something positive to say after all these songs? Maybe we can have Syesha sing "Forever Your Girl" instead just to ease her pain. I can also imagine Simon Cowell taking bug gulps of whatever booze Paula has in her cup after each of these songs. Hell, so would I, but that's part of what would make this such a cool night.

No comments: