Thursday, May 27, 2010

Stick a Fork In It Cuz It's Done

A few thoughts on the finale, since I don't recap results shows...

While I thought Lee deserved to be in the Top 2 and he seems like a genuinely nice guy, I am a little disappointed by the result. It's because once again the best singer did not win a singing competition. I think I got caught up in the moment Tuesday night when I predicted that Crystal would win since she clearly cleaned Lee's clock (or perhaps it was just the lack of sleep) because on Wednesday I began thinking that is was more likely that Lee would win because all of the cougars and tweeners that had been splitting their vote between Lee and that poser Casey James were all going to vote for the cute (and I believe single) dude over the more talented chick. Just like last season...

I was glad to see Drunk Chick return to the Idol stage last night, though I bet I was not the only person at the edge of my seat wondering what Paula was going to say on live television...

Just as I had predicted the pants on the ground guy made an appearance in the finale. I was surprised to see William Hung join him though. I cannot believe that 6 years after a 20 second appearance on a audition show Hung is still making public appearances...

Too bad they didn't let the Birdman sing his Simon tribute song. Brothers forever, man...

Season 7 winner David Cook's absence from the Simon tribute was pretty glaring considering all of the other Idol winners were there. I read that Fox claimed that Cook had a conflicting charity event Wednesday night, which sounds all well and good until you wonder why Cook would schedule something on the same night as the finale that as a former winner he would likely be asked to attend. Also makes you wonder what charity would hold an event the same night as the Idol finale...

Interesting how after bringing in a bunch of young mentors like Miley Cyrus and Alicia Keys the producers went all old school in the finale with Janet Jackson, Chicago, Alannis Morrisette, Bret Michaels, Michael McDonald, The Bee Gees, and Alice Cooper. I think Christina Aguilera was the only non-Idol performer who wouldn't remember watching the first moon landing...

Any idea who the guy in the hat was that tried to have a Kanye West moment? Beats me who he is...

I'm no fan of Dane Cook but his song was way too short...

One nice byproduct of all of the Simon tributes was that they didn't have those stupid awards again, nor did we have to see Horny Chick sing in a bikini...

I don't know why they bother to have "hosts" for the live remotes from the Top 2's home towns. Really, have any of them ever said anything informative?...

Am I the only one who thinks that Janet Jackson looks much better with longer hair? I would make a snarky comment about her age except that she is the same age as me...

Trained Seal was right, if it weren't for Simon Cowell American Idol would not be the show it is today. He was the one that brought the viewers in, the one that set American Idol apart from Star Search and all the other talent shows that occupy the vast TV wasteland. He was also the one who gave Gordon Ramsey a career on TV and rescued Paula Abdul and David Hasselhoff from total oblivion, but that is another story. He was the reality check, the splash of water to the face, the gatekeeper, the one who spoke for us. He was not afraid to tell a bad singer that they were bad, a refreshing change in this age of helicopter parents and coddled kids. Since Captain Jack was so found of analogies I found one on the web that seems oh so right, he was the dragon that had to be slayed to get to the pot of gold...

In case you wonder why I refer to Simon as Captain Jack first click on this link and scroll down to the recap of Carly Smithson's performance of "Blackbird", and then click on this link and scroll down to the recap of David Cook's performance of "Little Sparrow", or just click on this...

Since I didn't bother to recap some of the audition shows or any of Hollywood Week I will have a shorter than usual season recap posted in a week or so that will include my award winning fearless predictions of what lies ahead for the Top 12...

No comments: