Thursday, May 9, 2013

Idol Gives Back - Survivor Edition

A few weeks ago I had stated my belief that Kree Harrison and Candice Glover were the front runners in the competition, and just like my earlier prediction that Janelle Arthur and Amber Holcomb would be the first two chicks eliminated I once again made an accurate prediction that I subsequently reneged on just before it came to pass. Perhaps I need to trust my instincts more...

To be honest, even then I was pretty sure that Angie Miller would make the finale because of how favored she was by Nigel and the judges, especially after the Boston bombings became Angie's rallying cry. However, now she's out and I can enjoy the finale worry free. While Candice is still my favorite I would be fine with Kree winning, much more than I would be with the idea of Angie winning. No question Angie was an excellent singer and she's got a career on Broadway or with Disney waiting for her, but I just never could get comfortable with her theatrics or her constant staring at the camera.

As shocking as the result was, it was all drowned out in the social media world today with the news that Sole Survivor, Randy Jackson, announced that he was leaving Idol after this season. You know, I think that's the first time I've ever typed his full name on this blog, ever. It will be interesting to see if the producers give Randy the same kind of send off they gave Simon Cowell when he left. Maybe it'll just be like the year end montages, consisting of a video that we won't get to see because the camera will keep focusing on the singer of the accompanying song. Perhaps there'll be a Journey reunion, or maybe J-Lo and Mariah can team up on something. I can't say that I will miss Randy like I do Paula and Simon, though I'm sure I'll miss him more than Kara. I guess that means I will either need to retire the Sole Survivor nickname or transfer it over to Trained Seal.

Rumor has it that all of the judges and Nigel will all be fired after next week and be replaced with a whole new cast. Jimmy should be sticking around though since unlike the others he paid big bucks to be on the show and get the winner signed to his label with an iron clad contract. So his spot is guaranteed, unless Clive Davis wants it back.

Next week it's the finale and it will be at the Nokia Theater. We will see if the producers are able to fill all the seats. Could it be that the winner of a singing competition is in fact the best singer in the competition? We'll find out together. In the meantime, enjoy Randy's backup singing of this tribute to Simon from I believe Season 7:


No comments: