Wednesday, November 14, 2007

From the Archives: Season 5 Queen Week

To this day I don't know why nobody chose to sing "Save Me". It's the perfect Idol song from the Queen repertoire. I also remember to this day how amazed I was that Kellie Pickler was able to pull off singing "Bohemian Rhapsody". Enjoy this blog entry from April 11, 2006:

Bucky: I though it was OK. I liked the way you tweaked the arrangement to make it work for you. The singing was decent, not memorable, but decent.

Ace: That was a poor song choice, especially for you. I don't think you sang it very well, if anything it paled compared to the original version.

Kellie: I had serious doubts that you would do well this week since Queen is so far removed from your comfort zone, and then when I found out you were singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" I thought that this had train wreck written all over it. But, I am amazed at how well you pulled that off. The beginning was a bit karaoke but it got much better as you went along. It was very brave of you to choose that song, and you showed us something that we hadn't seen from you before. From a pure talent perspective it wasn't the best performance I've seen, but given the context it was nothing short of amazing.

Chris: Quite the opposite from Kellie, I had very high expectations for you tonight given the theme, and you didn't quite live up to them. I thought it was a bad song choice, though I will say that you performed that song better than Queen does and it definitely got better as you went along, so you deserve kudos for that. Your vocals were as strong as always.

Katherine: You made the right decision to change songs. That was the best vocal of the night. No one else in the competition could have done that song any better. Power ballads are definitely one of your strongest suits. I got goose bumps listening to it.

Elliott: It was kind of uneven, but it was generally OK. Some parts were really good, while others were kind of flat. It was an ambitious choice to sing "Somebody to Love" given the complexity of the vocal and I think you did fine with it.

Taylor: Mister Excitement is back! I was wondering where he was hiding. Like Katherine, you made a wise decision to change songs. "We Are the Champions" was so wrong for you on many levels, but this song ("Crazy Little Thing Called Love") was much better suited to your style. An improvement over last week.

Paris: The vocals were a little bit shaky in spots, but once again you made up for it with your performance skills. It still amazes me to watch you transform on stage from the shy 17 year old to this confident performer we saw again tonight.

Fearless Prediction: I went 2 for 3 last week including correctly picking the one voted off (Mandisa), so the pressure is on now. So..... my prediction this week is that Ace Young will be the one sent off tomorrow night. I think Bucky will be in the bottom 3. The other bottom feeder this week is hard to say. I think it could be either Elliot or Paris. I'll go out on a limb and say Paris, though in my mind Elliot gave the lesser performance of the two. I thought going in it would take a minor miracle for Kellie Pickler not to be on this list this week, and it looks like she might just have pulled it off.

No comments: