Thursday, November 29, 2007

From the Archives: Season 5 Elvis Week

I missed the show that Paris Bennett got voted off as I was at a dinner meeting listening to some boring professor brag about how he knew more about how the World Trade Center towers fell than anyone else. I would have been better off watching Idol.

I read a news story today that says that the debut album from Season 6 winner Jordin Sparks was the worst ever for an American Idol winner. Just another example of why Melinda Doolittle should have won instead. But I'm getting ahead of myself here, I'm still in Season 5. Speaking of travesties...

This report was the one that I feel I really started to hit my stride with these things. It was the week that I made my bold prediction that Chris Daughtry would be voted off, and sure enough he was. I was quite proud of myself for that call even though I felt that he was robbed (the aforementioned travesty). Of course my Mom was very upset with this development (not with me, but with Daughtry getting voted off), so much so that she stopped watching the show (a boycott she continued for all of Season 6) and instead just read my reports.

This was also the first time I mentioned the mentor who appeared on the show, a trend that I would continue into Season 6 along with mentioning Chris Daughtry at least once in every report.

From May 9, 2006:

Can you believe that American Idol airs in 53 other countries? Why don't these other countries have their own version of this show, since after all, American Idol is just the American version of a British show, isn't it?I was wondering if they were going to do an Elvis week. Wouldn't it be something if he showed up tomorrow night and performed like the other guest artists have done? I would bet at least one member of the studio audience tomorrow actually expects it to happen. I thought it was interesting that Priscilla Presley said that if The King were alive today that American Idol would be one of his favorite shows. Normally I dismiss such statements as hooey (you could say the same thing about, say, George Washington, Bing Crosby, or pretty much any deceased American, or for that matter any deceased citizen of the 53 other countries that air the show), but in the case of Elvis I could actually picture him being a fan of the show.Enough of the ranting and on with the judging.

Taylor Hicks: His first song, "Jailhouse Rock", was indicative of everything that is bad about him. He's out there dancing and having a good time and there's something to be said for that, but his singing was karaoke at best. His second song, "In the Ghetto", was indicative of everything that is good about him. Soulful, passionate, and that whiskey tenor bringing it home strong. I think on the strength of his second performance alone he's a shoo-in to advance to next week.

Chris Daughtry: "Suspicious Eyes" was a strong performance but was a little bit short of magical. He's certainly done better, though he did worse with "A Little Less Conversation". I agree with Simon, it was very flat for most of it until he picked it up at the end and showed off the rock and roll passion that he's known for. He was true to the song but I think that actually hurt him more than helped him, especially since in previous rounds he has altered a song to better suit his style.

Elliott Yamin: Needed two breakthrough performances to stay alive in the competition and boy did he ever deliver. "If I Can Dream" is a tough song for anybody because you really have to sell it like Elvis did. Elliott's performance was a little flat at first but he really hit it hard at the bridge when that song demands it. An impressive performance overall when you consider that he only learned the lyrics last week. His performance on "Trouble" was the best of the night by a mile. Strong and passionate, he has shown the most improvement over the course of the competition and he put it all together in that song.

Katherine McPhee: She strayed from her comfort zone by singing "Hound Dog" instead of her usual ballads. I admire her courage to do that this late in the competition but she really didn't sing it very well, including forgetting a line. One would have hoped she would do better with "Can't Help Falling In Love", a ballad that plays better to her strengths, but while she did do better it wasn't nearly up to par with her previous performances.

Fearless Prediction: The morning line had Elliott as the favorite to be the next one voted off, but it would be a crime if that happened given how well he performed tonight. Given that, it's hard to say who will be voted off. Any one of the four is a possibility, and I would have to go out on a limb to pick one. But then again, this is supposed to be a "fearless" prediction, so...I think Chris Daughtry's run will end tomorrow night. Yes, he has been the front runner for most of the competition but I got the impression last night that he's running out of steam while Taylor and Elliott are still on the rise. Katherine McPhee's performance was the worst of the four tonight but I think that the fact that she has by far the best singing voice in the competition, is the only girl left, was by her own admission forced out of her comfort zone by the theme, and fits much better into the classic Idol stereotype than Chris will all buy her one more week to find a ballad that she can blow everyone away with again.

No comments: